Name- Sobia Ahsan
Designation- Associate Professor
B Arch, Jamia Millia Islamia, 2011
M Arch (Urban Regeneration), Jamia Millia Islamia, 2011
Sobia Ahsan holds a Bachelors of Architecture and Masters in Urban Regeneration from Jamia Millia Islamia. With more than nine years of experience, she has worked with Delhi Development Authority, a government organization and various private organizations on multiple architectural and urban projects of different scales and typology.
Her passion in teaching drew her into academics and in her current position as an Associate Professor at SAA, Sushant University, she heads the Theory and Method track- focused on developing critical thinking skills, reading and academic writing skills. She also heads the Specialism track of electives, which is a choice based course which is being offered to the students across the B.Arch programme.
At SAA, she has served as the studio head of second year building construction, developing the subject lesson plans, conceiving the methodology of the studio, assessment rubrics, coordination and parity across all the sections. She has been teaching Architecture Design (Habitat and Urban Design Studio) to fourth year, Theory and Method to first, second and third year, Town Planning to fourth year and Building Construction and Materials to first and second year. She has also guided many thesis and dissertation students.
Her interests lie in the interdisciplinary researches and intersections of architecture with society, culture and history. In her academic thesis, she has investigated the urban character of the old core of Lucknow and proposed the ways for its regeneration. She is currently curious and researching about the migration histories in India and its intersection with the architectural language of the urban spaces.
Research areas includes Contemporary Urbanism, Migration and Urban Studies and Habitat Studies
- Presented a Poster in a Workshop on ‘History and Conservation: Voices from Small and Medium Towns of India’ as a Speaker at School of Art & Architecture, Sushant University in December 2017
- Presented a Research Paper on “Revitalization of Chowk, the Heritage Spine of old core of Lucknow” in a National Conference on Urban Futures of Lucknow held on 22nd and 23rd of March 2017 at Amity University, Lucknow
Theme Convenor- Transfer:, iPAC 2021-2022: Mud Futures, a global year-long multi-host multi-location conclave on the futures of mud in architecture, SAA, SU, Jan 2021 – till date. https://ipac.page/mudfutures/
Workshop Conducted/ Attended:
- Participated in India Arch Dialogue held at Qutub Minar Complex, New Delhi as a Delegate in February 2018 organized by FCML Design Initiatives
- Participated in a Workshop on ‘History and Conservation: Voices from Small and Medium Towns of India’ as a Speaker at School of Art & Architecture, Sushant University in December 2017
- Certificate of participation on the workshop conducted by Fair Conditioning on cooling interiors Efficiently and Sustainably from 10th- 15th June 2017
- Participated in International Workshop on Inclusive Cities by Jamia Millia Islamia from 19th -20th December 2016
- Certificate of participation on International Workshop “Renovation and Revitalization of a Post-Industrial Building in Paris” in 2009
FDP Conducted/ Attended:
- Certificate of Appreciation for receiving A+ grade in the National Online Teacher Training Program on” SDG-4’s Targets for teaching and Learning in Architecture” from 2nd to 6th May 2022 organized by COA in Association with SAAFacTOR, Sushant University.
- Conducted Propositions- a faculty seminar for ongoing research in Architecture and multidisciplinary fields at SAA, Sushant University since 2020.
- Certificate of Completion of a Workshop on writing and research in Architecture, Advanced Programme,SSAAFacTOR in Feb 2020
- Certificate of Participation in the course conducted by Centre for Science and Environment on Sustainable Affordable Housing in 2019
- Certificate of Participation in the Quality Induction Programme coordinated by IIT, Roorkee on Research Techniques in Art, Architecture and Design in July 2018
- Certificate of participation on having completed the course on “UAV Remote Sensing and Applications” conducted by the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing from July 03,2017 to July 07,2017.
Online Courses Attended:
- International migrations: a global issue - completed an online non-credit course authorized by Sciences Po and offered through Coursera in May 2022.
- Housing Justice: A view from Indian Cities- completed an online non-credit course authorized by Indian Institute for Human Settlements and offered through Coursera in March 2022.
- Verified Certificate of Achievement of an online course of study offered by Harvard University on Urban 101x: Cities X
Awards and Achievements (including Scholarship)
- University Scholarships in M Arch for holding merit position
- University Scholarships in B Arch for holding merit position
- An award for excellence in optimum space utilization (ARCH) by Pidilite in 2010
Council of Architecture